[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]What is assistance or increased social and community participation?
Salt’s support workers can help you to get out into the community to build skills, independence, and connections through community participation to feel included with your disability. We can help you meet your goals relating to engaging in the community as well as social or recreational activities, attend classes or groups in centers of communities. This support can be provided for you if it is considered reasonable and necessary to meet your needs and goals.
Why is community participation important?
The NDIS found that increasing the community participation of those who weren’t participating or involved in the community is very beneficial. Community participation is important because it has been found to improve wellbeing which spills into different aspects of like including education, employment, health, and satisfaction, and here at Salt, your well-being is very important to us. It can also reduce long-term support costs and the need for higher-cost levels of support.
What are some examples of how community participation can help you?
- Create a network of friends and supports available for you
- Increase participation in the workforce which leads to financial benefits
- Increases mobility
- Gives added meaning and purpose in life
- Allows the access of public or community transport reduces the costs of taxi use
What does community participation look like?
Our support workers can help you attend and engage in many different types of events, groups outings so that you can:
- Attend community groups or events
- Attend social disability groups
- Join a sports club or coaching lessons
- Let loose and have some fun in art, dance or singing classes
- Participate in social outings
- Build your skills in cooking classes
- Read and discuss in books clubs
- Get your green thumb on in gardening groups or community gardens
- Visit your local library or go to the state library
- Go shopping
- Go on a day trip or outing in nature
- Volunteer in programs or events
- Have some fun playing golf or rock climbing
- Learn an instrument in classes or private lessons
How can I access this support?
If you have Core Support funding for “Assistance to Access Community, Social and Recreational Activities” or Capacity Building funding for “Increased Social and Community Participation Activities” in your NDIS plan then you can access this support from us. Funding in your plan is flexible and is used to meet your needs, if you would like this support then let you Support Coordinator and Support Worker know.
If you don’t know if you have this funding in your plan then also speak with your Support Coordinator or the NDIS on 1800 800 110. If you’re not with the NDIS but you want to join and receive this support, see if you’re eligible for community participation in our How to Apply of NDIS page or call the NDIS on 1800 8000 110.
If you need this kind of support because of your disability then we can help you out! Give us a call on 995 77 888.
Learn more about community participation here:
NDIS Community Participation[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]